As the temperature rises so does our desire to beat the heat with what we eat. Capitalizing on foods that showcase versatility, allows us to channel our culinary creativity and provide affordability as we celebrate our farmers and growers. This is a great reason to put produce in the bowl or on the plate. I love foods that multitask-across all meal occasions, as well as with different colors, textures and flavors. This is why I am singing the praises of potatoes and calling myself a #spudbud- always discovering new ways to add fruits and vegetables every day. #haveaplant.
Potatoes can be served as an appetizer, entrée or side
Potatoes are versatile- fresh, frozen, canned or dried- russets, reds, purple, yellows, white as well as fingerlings and petite
Potatoes can be enjoyed on their own or added to other dishes
Potatoes can be served hot or cold
Potatoes can be prepared one and enjoyed twice
Potatoes are available, accessible and affordable
Potatoes are great for produce pairing
So how might you use potatoes in your summer eats?
• Potato salad with shredded carrots, chopped cucumbers, celery and red peppers
• Roasted red potatoes added to a leafy green salad
• A potato “bowl” using a baked potato as the base and piling on greens, beans, salsa, guacamole and Greek yogurt
• Leftover fried potatoes can be the base of a frittata enjoyed for breakfast, cut thinly as an appetizer or as a meal with a side salad
• Potato, onion, mushroom and tomato kebabs
• Potato s-mores with thinly sliced potatoes,- grilled, topped with pesto, sliced tomato and Fresh mozzarella or go zesty with kalamata olive spread, grilled zucchini and blue cheese
• Think beyond the meat on the grill, for a taste thrill how about Chipotle BBQ mini potatoes
• Thinly sliced and air-fried, potatoes are a great snack or side and adding salsa or a bean dip gives you a 2 for 2 of produce that it so good for you.
• Mini chilled roasted potatoes with a Greek yogurt/rosemary dip
Bring the nutrition to the plate with a food that tastes great!
Potatoes provide carbohydrate, fiber protein, Vitamin C, and potassium to deliver the health on the shelf. Plus potatoes fit the bill in bringing the eye thrill and gut fill to keep you fueled during the day and keep your hunger at bay.
To make the most of the summer, fruits and veggies deliver on the nutritious and delicious to help you eat well, play well and stay well. #haveaplant